Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Girls Camp

My church every year has a girls camp. I was a leader this year and we came up with the idea of The Hunger Games. We made it spiritual by using the scripture below. I made parachutes and previously we had parents or "sponsors" write a letter about how they have hungered and thirsted after righteousness and got the girls their favorite treat. You can see the parachutes hanging from the sign I made. We had camp on a lady from church's property in Fairview, NC. It was amazing!
We went to Dupont State Forest (only an hour away) and hiked the trail and saw the waterfall that was in the Hunger Games movie. Dupont State forest is where the movie was filmed. We were all trying to figure out where Katniss finds Peeta in the water.
We also went to Linville Caverns (an hour and a half away) and did the tour. It was amazing! Notice the girls awesome tee shirts we had made.
This is the creek that ran right next to where our tents were. So peaceful at night!
I even made a cornucopia for the girls to run and grab something that would be of use to them at camp. No one grabbed the Peeta poster though! For the rest of camp they used that for putting secret sister gifts in.
We did lots of crafts. And did I mention that I got 8 chigger bites! Alex couldn't even look at them he was so grossed out!
Tie dying the camp shirts.
We had this guy come and teach the girls archery, since that plays a big part in the movie.
I dressed up as Effie Trinket from the movie and did the reaping. I tried to do it in her voice as best as I could and I gave the girls their tent assignments or "districts" and told them they would win a prize for memorizing the scripture. The prize was "berry" gum. It was really hard to walk in heels in the grass!
The peacekeeper tent was where the leaders slept and the districts were where the girls slept. I also made 12 mockingjays to hang from the trees and each girl got one at the end of camp.
We made chalkboard signs with quotes from the book and then added a church quote to go along with it.
I also made 3 tracker jacker nests, luckily those weren't real. Although there was this one HUGE bee looking thing that we named Bob that I think liked the nest and my yellow shirt. There is so much more to say about girls camp, but not enough to words to express. This is my first time going as a leader and I had such a great time even though I am not a camper. I felt uplifted and got to know the girls and other leaders much better. You get to know people pretty well when you only shower once and are with them all day for 4 days! My favorite part of camp was when (unplanned) I was trying to cut a twig with an ax and all I got off was some bark. The girls were making fun of me and I told them it was harder than it looked, so of course they had to try it out and it was hilarious, because no one could break that twig. Finally one of the older girls who went last we able to break it on her first blow. I was laughing a lot during that activity.

3 comments:

  1. WOw, you actually roughed it at your girls camp! We had cabins- but I didnt get to stay at all due to Phillip's sickness and starting his internship that week too! Boo, cause it looks like the girls had so much fun. I love how you tied everything in from the book- and no, I haven't read them yet or seen the movie, I refuse to see the movie until I read the books- and I have to read 6 others this summer first! Good job on the crafts! And the purple dress is really cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Love the HG theme. Those girls are looking so grown up. Several of them were brand new beehives when I was there . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I cold have seen those falls with you. Tat pic looks a ton like where Peeta was hiding.

    ReplyDelete