Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mantel

So the fireplace didn't have a mantel. I had to get one before christmas because I finally have a fireplace to hang my stockings on dang it, and they will be hung by the chimney with care if it is the last thing I do. I wanted a rustic mantel with wood that matched the floors and ceiling beams. I called my floor guy and he said he had nothing of the sort but I should try calling a saw mill. So I found one down the road from me and went to check things out. I got there and looked around their lumber yard and found an old piece of white oak that had been greyed from the sun. I loved it, so I told the very nice southern gentleman that I wanted that piece and he looked at me weird and said what do you need this for and I told him and he looked at me weird again. I asked him to cut it for me and he did and I gave him $13 for the piece of wood. I shoved it in my car and was on my way. I borrowed a hammer drill from a friend from church and drilled the holes in the stone and used wedge anchors and liquid nails to hang it up. All Alex helped me with was placing the beam on the two little pieces of wood. I am woman, hear me roar! Next up, get rid of the 1970's doors on the fireplace.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! Your house looks beautiful. Congratulations on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I seriously think you could do ANYTHING in the world you put your mind to. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete